WHEN DO I USE “SOME” AND “ANY”?

“Some” and “any” are both quantifiers and determiners that are used to show the quantity or number of something or people. You can use “some” and “any” when the number is either not known or not very important. They are both used with countable and uncountable nouns, as well as with singular and plural nouns. They usually modify the nouns they quantify.
Examples
1.     I have some money with me here. (The amount is not relevant)

2.     Have you got any friends in Lagos? (“Friends” is a plural countable noun)

3.     I need to take some water now.(“Water” is singular uncountable noun)
Now, how then do we really distinguish between “some” and “any”? Take a look at this…
Ø Some” is used in positive affirmative sentences.

Examples

1.     It’s good to have some friends around in times of trouble.
2.     I really need some rest now.
Please Note: An affirmative sentence is simply a positive sentence without the negation “not.” The sentences above are affirmative.
Ø “Any” is used in interrogative and negative sentences.

Examples

1.     Has he refunded any money to the government?(Interrogative sentence)

2.     I don’t need any distraction when I’m reading.(Negative  sentence with the negation “not”)


3.     He has not refunded any money to the government. (Negative  sentence with the negation “not”)

4.     Do I really need any distraction when reading? (Interrogative sentence)

Exception
One thing that is common in grammatical rules is that provision is often made for exceptional cases. There would always be exceptions. The only exception to the use of “some” in an interrogative sentence is when it is used to make a polite or formal request and offer.
Examples
1.     Can I have some money please? (request)
2.     Would you mind if I give you some water? (offer)
Now that you have learnt a new thing today, don’t hesitate to share your opinion with me. Comments are welcomed. Thanks for reading. Please always check this blog for more exciting posts. Thank you and God bless you.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Use Tag Questions

WHAT IS A NEGATIVE PREFIX?